Date: July 30, 2015
General Session: 12 Noon to 1:30 PM EST
Location: Webcast (Free)
Interested in Continuing Compliance Education™, CLE or CPE (A & A hours)? Attend via the RCA’s Online University (On Demand) — free for Practice Edge Elite Members
Bitcoin has been a constant source of innovation, controversy, debate, and confusion since it appeared in early 2009. Since that time, countless derivative and new cryptocurrency technologies have emerged all over the world, over $1b has poured into industry start-ups, and legal and regulatory systems have struggled to keep pace.
This course is part one of a two part series covering the topics of Bitcoin, cryptocurrency, and regulation. Part one will cover the emergence of cryptocurrency and bitcoin and provide a clear definition for the technology in plain language. This course will identify both current and future applications for the technology, as well as potential areas of abuse with a special focus on those relating to asset management.
Students will master the following at the conclusion of this session:
- Define bitcoin and cryptocurrency basics, including what it is, how it works, where it comes from, and who controls it.
- Differentiate between a cryptocurrency and services that exchange or administer cryptocurrency, list the issues and risks for each.
- List the present and future applications for cryptocurrency including but not limited to payment systems, decentralized exchanges, smart contracts, and identity systems.
- Context and appreciation for the history of bitcoin and cryptocurrency service failures.
- Ability to recognize variables common across failed services, including red flags.
- Apply these definitions to identify potential areas of abuse for cryptocurrency and cryptocurrency services, especially pertaining to asset management.
Walter Zebrowski, JD, CPA, Principal, Hedgemony Partners
Chairman, Regulatory Compliance Association
Senior Fellow from Practice:
Will Madden, Founder & CEO, bridge21
John Betts, Chief Compliance Officer & Founder, Noble Markets
Bart Chilton, Senior Policy Advisor, DLA Piper, Former CFTC Commissioner
Marco Santori, JD, Chairman, Regulatory Affairs Committee, Bitcoin Foundation, Counsel, Pillsbury Winthrop
Michelle Sabins, SVP & CRA Officer, Deposit Operations & Regulatory Compliance, Silvergate Bank